Delhi Riots 2020
On 23rd of February, 2020, violence broke out in the North East region of Delhi which escalated over time.
As a result of the violence, 50+ deaths have been confirmed so far, including the death of a police officer, with over 1000+ physically injured and thousand other families put to mental trauma.
Damage to property, especially shops, street-vendors and religious sites has been noted.
Families displaced due to damage/burnt houses, devoid of any belongings.
Schools in the riot hit area damaged and burnt.
Displaced families either staying at the government’s night shelter turned relief camps/ stranger’s homes, makeshift shelter spaces at religious sites including Gurudwaras and Masjids.
Observations indicate high chances of trauma among children, survivors
Families lack basic means to restore livelihoods.
Poor/absence of sanitation facilities on ground
Proposed Intervention on the basis of rapid assessment
- Assisting the riot hit families with basic essentials, Women Dignity Kit, Men Dignity kit and Kid Dignity Kit
- Arranging make-shift recreational spaces for children at the shelter camps/ riot hit areas, facilitating recreational kits for children
- Medical camps
- Immediate psychosocial Support
- Makeshift schools
- Sanitation and drinking water facilities
- School Infrastructural support
- Rebuilding damaged computer labs
- Rebuilding damaged libraries
- Helping establish counselling modules in school
- Educational Material
- Helping riot survivors with means of livelihood
- Re-establishing trade opportunities
- Putting markets to function (push carts, etc.)
- Encouraging Micro entrepreneurship ventures
- Psychosocial support for survivors
- Trust building therapies towards communal harmony
- Counselling centers in the community
- Education related assistance
- Scholarships for higher education for children in the riot affected areas