UWD works on the issue of Education through its comprehensive School Support Program, Non Formal Education programs and Scholarships.
UWD has envisaged ensuring quality education for the children of marginalized families in Delhi NCR. Towards realizing this goal, a School Support Program has been designed to help government schools and schools run by non-profit agencies for marginalized children in Delhi NCR.
Major components of the school support framework are as under:
- Child friendly infrastructure and maintenance
- Improving active learning and behaviour change
- Encouraging physical well-being and fitness
- Strengthening participation of parents and community
- Improving social environment
- Improvement of infrastructure
- Provisions of desks, blackboards and other furniture
- Construction/ repair of toilet blocks
- Repair of classrooms/ building model classrooms
- Upgradation of drinking water facilities
- Provision of ROs
- Setting up playgrounds & sports equipment
- Plantation and setup of gardens in schools
- Provision/ repair of electrical fittings in schools
- Improvement of learning environment
- Remedial education classes
- Setting up libraries, science centres and computer labs
- Teacher trainings
- Spoken English classes
- Improvement of social environment
- Engagement of School Management Committees (SMCs)
- Conducting workshops on hygiene, safe sanitation, child abuse, handwashing, cleanliness etc
- First aid training
- Parent and community engagement
Non Formal Education
Non Formal initiatives by UWD dedicated to identify, encourage, motivate and guide out-of-school/dropout children through Non-Formal Education (NFE) at the secondary level and remedial classes at the primary level of schooling.
Activities: Include guiding with career and vocational studies counseling, organizing health and nutrition check-ups, life skill training and extracurricular activities.
United Way Delhi’s scholarship program, ‘JYOTIRGAMAYA’ has successfully enabled meritorious underprivileged children complete their higher education/ vocational training. The program also aims to provide career guidance and support to the beneficiaries. The initiative is supported by Deloitte, which aims at enabling youth to ac-quire skills and training targeted at job oriented courses.
Learning Support Centre
Learning Support Centre (or any other name) is set up outside the school, which supports children going to government schools by conducting the following sessions:
- Remedial classes
- Computer classes
- Spoken-English classes (for children)
- Bridge Courses SMC Orientation Health Camps Campus beautification and waste management
The LSC functions as per the convenience of the children without hampering the school hours. It would also conduct health camps (for all children) and career counseling events (for secondary and senior secondary students).